Monday, December 12, 2005

Zanzibar Vacation Continued...(Nov 25-29)


"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
– E. E. Cummings


The one thing I’ve learned from creating a blog is that, with the exception of my Dad, no one reads the text. And although I’m channeling my efforts in that direction, I can’t help but write a little bit about Zanzibar…

Zanzibar, Tanzania: Zanzibar comprises of a pair of small tropical islands (Pemba and Zanzibar or “Unguja”) just north of Dar el Salaam with about 800,000 people. Zanzibar, also known as the spice island, lies off the coast of Tanzania in the Indian Ocean. It’s famous for once being the commercial centre of East Africa and the last place to abolish the slave trade. Apparently, they are also renown for their door architecture, with the left side of the door representing a woman and the right the man- this confused Esther and I immensely as we weren’t sure which side was left or right, depending on whether one stands facing the door or walking out the door. But I digress. Zanzibar’s main industries are spices, tourism, and it is the only home of the Zanzibar Red Colobus monkeys (which we didn’t see because we were late for the plane). To summarize, it’s a beautiful, green place that’s definitely worth a visit!





The fisherman who sold us our lunch (fish and calamari).



The fish from the nets.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You used to help a group of fiherpersons in Rayong pulling their big net along the beach and cought many fishes. You were paid in fishes for your labour. You were about 8 yrs. old and well like by all fisherperson. We were vacationing at Wong Kae beach.

9:26 PM  
Blogger lizze said...

Hello!

yes, I looked the the pic, thought this is different and interesting and then went back reading the text.

Your holiday *sigh* seems to be really nice. Enjoy it and plz blog some more

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that fisherman really curious to see Moby Dick?

2:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Opulently I acquiesce in but I dream the collection should prepare more info then it has.

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home